CPC Certification Program for Canadian Career Practitioners
Career Professionals of Canada (CPC) is setting the Canadian standard for excellence in our field. CPC's Certification Program validates and recognizes the expertise of Canadian career practitioners in five competency areas — career, work-life, interview, employment, and résumé strategy.
CPC Certifications are professional credentials where we designate the title of Certified Career Strategist (CCS), Certified Work-Life Strategist (CWS), Certified Interview Strategist (CIS), Certified Employment Strategist (CES), and Certified Résumé Strategist (CRS) to qualified practitioners.
Are you considering applying for certification? Career Professionals of Canada’s certifications are an excellent way to enhance your own résumé and add to your credibility. Watch this video to learn all about CPC’s Certification Program.
Career Professionals of Canada is setting the Canadian standard for excellence in our profession. CPC offers five distinct certifications with two levels. You can learn more here:
The Canadian Council for Career Development (3CD) has identified the following benefits of certification:
Benefits for Individual CDPs
- Certification confirms your mastery of critical professional competencies and recognizes your professional development and growth.
- Certification demonstrates to your clients, competitors, suppliers, peers, employers and funders that you use industry-respected best practices.
- Certification can improve your overall performance, remove uncertainty, and widen market opportunities.
- The process of achieving and maintaining certification demonstrates that you are continually improving and refining your practice.
- Certification could enhance your career/promotion opportunities and/or your income.
- Certification can increase your recognition by peers, employers and recruiters/funders. It can set you apart from the competition to gain a competitive edge professionally.
- Certification establishes you as an expert and innovator in your field.
Benefits for our Field
- Certification raises the bar for our field, demonstrating to our employers/funders, policy makers and the public that our work is grounded in professional excellence.
- Certification operationalizes the competency standards and ethical guidelines that were established through the S & Gs, defines our scope of practice, and supports quality service delivery.
Benefits for Employers of CDPs/Funders
- Certification can differentiate between hiring candidates. Beyond considering an individual’s experience, you can assess their knowledge and interest in professional growth and development.
- Certification helps you to identify those who have the desire to excel professionally.
- Certification is a tool to help you in targeting your staff training and professional development.
- Certification helps you to demonstrate to funders and other stakeholders that your business is run professionally.
- The application and renewal process in certification will improve staff responsibility, commitment and motivation.
- Top-performing companies understand that properly training employees leads to direct, measurable bottom-line benefits.
For the Public
- Certification affords the public the opportunity to make an informed selection of services based on the knowledge and training demonstrated by Certified CDPs.
- Certified CDPs set a standard for excellence in the field.
By completing the CPC Certification Program, you’re managing your own career. By earning certification, you show by example that you understand the importance of your own career development.
Your CPC Certifications will set you apart from your competition. They will:
- Validate your competency and expertise in strategic career services.
- Boost your credibility within the Canadian market and internationally.
- Enhance the value you provide to your employer and clients.
- Exhibit your knowledge of current trends in career strategy.
- Demonstrate your commitment to continued professional development.
CPC certifications give you credibility. By displaying the logo and using the letters after your name, you demonstrate that you are an expert in your field. You can promote your CPC certifications in your resume, website, and advertising.
If you are a practitioner who provides résumé , interview, employment, or career support to the Canadian labour market, you are eligible to apply for certification.
CPC certifications are a benefit of membership; therefore to be eligible to complete the program, you must a professional member of Career Professionals of Canada.
You do not need to be currently working as a Career Professional to apply for certification; however, to pass the evaluation, you will need to demonstrate certain competencies in your area of expertise.
1- Become a Professional Member of Career Professionals of Canada.
2- Select your certifications and apply:
- Certified Career Strategist (CCS)
- Certified Work-Life Strategist (CWS)
- Certified Interview Strategist (CIS)
- Certified Employment Strategist (CES)
- Certified Résumé Strategist (CRS)
3- Receive your Study Guide (free with each course) and complete the self-study course.
4- Submit your work for review within 1 year of application. Your work will be reviewed by our Certification Team.
5- Attain a mark of 70% or more and you will receive your C-Level Certification.
Maintain your membership to keep your certification.
You must be a registered member of Career Professionals of Canada to apply for certification and to maintain your certification.
- Annual individual membership is $180 per person. Group membership is $150 per person.
- Your investment for each C-Level certification application is $295. This is a one-time fee for the application.
- If you are unable to achieve your certification on the first try, you may resubmit a new application for $75. You are limited to 2 re-submission attempts.
All fees are in Canadian dollars and based on your province of residence taxes will apply. Fees are non-refundable.
To keep your certification active, you must maintain your annual membership to CPC.
There are no other hidden costs or re-certification fees.
Both courses and certification will help you advance your career. The difference is that:
- Courses will help you learn, grow and build your skills (training) – you’ll get better at what you do!
- Certification will authenticate and validate your skills (credentials) – you’ll get recognized for what you do!
Learn how you can get a CPC Certification through a Fast-Track Program that allows you to bypass the formal process of submitting work product for evaluation.
CPC is committed to protect your freedom of information, privacy, and confidentiality. We comply with Ontario’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).
As a CPC Certification Applicant, you have the right to:
- Be informed of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
- Be treated with courtesy, respect, and impartiality.
- Be tested with measures that meet professional standards.
- Have access to the outline of the submission process prior to submitting your work product.
- Know in advance of the submission process when the results will be available to you.
- Understand the renewal and re-submission requirements.
- Have your submission evaluated by appropriately trained assessors.
- Receive an oral debrief of your results upon your request within one month of your submission.
- Have your application marks kept confidential to the extent allowed by law.
- Present concerns or inquiries about the testing process to email@example.com
As a CPC Certification Applicant, you have the responsibility to:
- Read and understand your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
- Ask questions prior to submission if you are uncertain about the purpose and/or process.
- Study your certification eGuide and all submission instructions in detail prior to submitting your work product.
- Inform CPC in advance of starting the program if you wish to receive a testing accommodation.
- Follow the submission instructions and represent yourself honestly.
- Work independently to complete your submission without outside assistance.
- Be familiar with and accept the consequences of not submitting your work product on time.
- Inform your CPC administrator if you believe that outside influences affected your results.
- Ask about the confidentiality of your test results, if this aspect concerns you.
- Present any concerns you may have about the submission process or results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE QUICKEST AND EASIEST way to start the process is to register for membership and select your certification online.
“Career Professionals of Canada is committed to supporting Canadian Career Practitioners with a unique credentialing program designed to enhance their credibility, visibility, and opportunities.”
Gabrielle LeClair, MCRS, MCES, MCCS, MCIS, CPC Certification Chair