CDP-101 – Career Development Foundations Certificate Course
Career Development Foundations
CDP-101 – Online Course – Class size is limited.
(CCS Preparation Course / CCDP Ethics & Theory Courses)
This Career Development Foundations Course is designed to provide you with the core competencies that you require to perform effectively as a Career Development Practitioner. If you want to learn how to apply ethics, theories, and models in your practice, are working toward your Certified Career Development Practitioner / Professional (CCDP) designation, or would like to be granted your Certified Career Strategist (CCS) certification in the future, you will discover that this course is designed to help you achieve your goal!
This course is rich with interactive group discussions and individual assignments. Throughout the course, you’ll discuss case studies representing real-life work scenarios. You’ll explore a wide range of complexities in career development practice. You will learn what is required of you in the Pan-Canadian CDP Competency Framework and the National Competency Profile for CDPs.
This course will also help you to:
- Uncover and understand the professional competencies related to and required in our field.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to lifelong learning and ongoing professional development.
- Position yourself to earn more as a qualified career development coach, consultant, or counsellor.
- Earn 45 hours towards any Continuing Education Credits (CECs) you require.
- Complete the ethics and theory requirements for your provincial Certified Career Development Practitioner / Professional (CCDP) certification.*
- Become eligible to fast-track the Certified Career Strategist (CCS) credential.
CPC CDP-101 Course (Ethics & Theory)
Work toward your Certified Career Development Professional (CCDP)
In this short video, we’ll discuss membership with Career Professionals of Canada and our Career Development Foundations Course (CDP-101). This is the professional development course that will help you work toward your CCDP designation. CDP-101 provides prerequisite ethics and theory training and upon successful completion of this course, you can apply for certification through your provincial board or association.
STEP 1 – APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP ($50 discount)
Ethics & Standards (15 hours)
During the first part of the course, you’ll establish and build your practical and theoretical knowledge, personal self-awareness, and reflective foundation required for ethical service delivery. You will gain the tools you need to confidently identify the ethical implications of difficult situations that can arise in the field of career development. Learn how you can apply the Code of Ethics for CDPs and the associated Ethical Decision-Making Model to each scenario to ensure that you are working ethically. You’ll be fully equipped to handle ethical situations with confidence and integrity. You will be challenged to explore ethical considerations in a variety of environments and will practice addressing issues such as confidentiality and conflict of interest in the workplace.
This course will help you make good ethical decisions. You will:
- Learn to discuss broad ethical considerations related to career development.
- Identify appropriate ethical codes and principles to guide your work.
- Learn to apply an Ethical Decision-Making Model.
- Analyze specific cases to identify and articulate ethical dilemmas.
- Identify proactive strategies to avoid ethical problems.
Theories, Models & Practices (30 hours)
Theories, models, and practices offer us the foundation for the work we do in our career practice. You’ll explore a wide range of existing and emerging theories and models, which form the basis of current practice of the career development profession in Canada. You will build a critical mass of knowledge on which to base your practice. Build your knowledge of the theoretical foundations of career development, including Maslow’s Theory of Human Motivation, Super’s Lifespan / Lifespace Model, Parson’s Trait and Factor Theory, Roe’s Personality Type Theory, Holland’s Theory of Career Choice, and Ginzberg’s Theory of Occupational Choice. You will examine issues of culture in relation to career development theories. By analyzing the strengths and limitations of these theories, models, and practices, you can apply them appropriately in your career interventions.
This course will give you the foundation needed to provide career development services. You will:
- Learn to analyze and apply existing and emerging theories in professional practice.
- Identify and describe various career development models and practices.
- Relate models of human development to models of career development.
- Explain and apply the main components of career development.
- Identify the repercussions of social roles on career development.
- Define a personal approach to service delivery, taking into account recognized theories, models, and practices.
Achieve the core requirements for your CCDP
This course is designed to meet the core requirements for the ethics and theory portions of the Certified Career Development Practitioner / Professional (CCDP). This course includes BOTH of the approved core competency courses that are required for your CCDP provincial designation. Contact your provincial association to receive approval for credits through this course.*
Ready yourself for your CCS certification
This course is designed to prepare you to apply for your National Certified Career Strategist (CCS) national designation. Upon passing CDP-101, you will have completed the base requirements for the Certified Career Strategist (CCS) certification through Career Professionals of Canada. You will bypass the formal assessment of a case study. Note that you must have a more than one year of related work experience and you must pay the application fee to be granted the designation through CPC’s CCS Course-Based Program.
Work towards your certifications today!
* The Certified Career Development Professional / Practitioner (CCDP) is under the jurisdiction of provincial / territorial Career Development associations. Across Canada, the field is evolving and processes are becoming formalized. Not every province / territory offers CCDP certification. However, some are well established and others are well underway. Currently, CCDP applications are evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the province / territory. Please check with your association to confirm that this program qualifies for CCDP credits under their program.
Career Professionals working together for career success!