How Advanced Résumé Training Helped Me Innovate
A few years ago I wrote an article about résumé brand engineering. The comments I received and the discussions I had with other careerpros following the release of this article caused me to reflect on how I came to develop insight into the power of brand engineering. It seems that many of my own innovations in résumé writing started with one key program – Career Professionals of Canada’s Advanced Résumé Development certificate course.
This certificate program enabled me to think about résumé writing in an entirely new way. By aligning my services with today’s current trends, I have been able to enhance my own exposure and visibility in the career development field. More importantly, I am able to provide my clients with exceptional quality résumé writing and career coaching services.
Through the program, I learned how to think innovatively about résumé mechanics and design.
The Advanced Résumé Development course empowered me to leverage fresh ideas and strategic résumé writing techniques. In just a few short weeks, I increased my confidence while engaging in collaborative learning with my colleagues on best practices in résumé writing.
This certificate course is a fully interactive three-week program (15 hours per week), delivered through a distance education format – convenient for all résumé practitioners wherever you reside. I found that the topics were relevant, covering résumé strategy, mechanics, design, and supporting documents. The asynchrononous discussion forums, self-study, and practical homework assignments helped me establish and achieve measurable goals. By applying these effective techniques, I acquired a solid foundation for résumé marketing.
The application assignment was very helpful in preparing me to achieve the Certified Résumé Strategist (CRS) designation. Since then, my client’s résumés have been nominated for awards. I have also had the privilege of being selected to facilitate online chats, as well as present and write about innovations in résumé writing.
As a direct result of this program, Sharon Graham and I collaborated to develop and introduce the concept of Résumé Brand Engineering in The Canadian Résumé Strategist, the self-study eGuide for this course.
As a career practitioner, you owe it to yourself — and to your clients — to apply the highest standards of excellence in your résumé writing and career services.
CPC’s Advanced Résumé Development course holds students to the most rigorous standards. You must achieve a grade of at least 80% to successfully pass the course and be fully prepared to attain the Certified Résumé Strategist (CRS) designation.
Whether you choose to work towards the Career Development Practitioner Certificate Program (CDP), re-purpose your work in a complete portfolio, or even submit your work towards an Award of Excellence, your ability to expand your boundless potential is within your means.
There are a great number of résumé writing courses and training programs for aspiring and existing career practitioners. But how many of those courses are effective in helping you craft a powerful résumé that will showcase your client’s unique career brand?
Once you’ve decided to embark on résumé training, consider these questions:
- Does the program deliver the absolute highest quality and meet the standards to which you aspire?
- Are the concepts taught aligned with your personal level of skill, experience, readiness, and preparedness?
- Will it help you build your résumé with accreditation and new credentials?
- Is the organization delivering the program well-respected and known in the Canadian career field?
- Is the instructor known for high-level expertise in writing résumés for various types of clients?
- Does the program combine theory with adequate practice to help you incorporate the techniques you learn?
- Is the program delivered in a format that allows you to maximize your learning at your convenience?
- Does it offer a structure where you will progressively improve your résumé writing competencies?
- Does the program cover different situations and career-related obstacles?
- Is the program content regularly revised to keep up with recent trends and formats?
- Will you learn innovations such as résumé brand engineering and ATS-friendly résumé techniques?
- Does passing the course lead to a recognized certification in the résumé writing industry?
- Will it supply you with opportunities for continuous improvement and professional development?
Being able to answer the above questions with a definitive “yes” will help you to choose the résumé training program that best meets your goals and learning objectives.
If you have already taken CPC’s Advanced Résumé Development course, feel free to share in the comments how it enhanced your skill in writing powerful, interview-attracting résumés. If you are considering taking this interactive program, spread the word and mark the next course start date on your calendar — spots fill up quickly and class size is limited!
Lori A. Jazvac is a passionate, award-winning Master Certified Résumé Strategist and Certified Employment Strategist through Career Professionals of Canada. As a multi-certified Master Résumé Writer and Certified Career Transition Coach, she specializes in helping clients navigate challenging career transitions. In 2013, an empowering vision inspired Lori to launch Creative Horizons Communications, a holistic career services firm where she virtually supports jobseekers around the globe to embrace their next career milestone. In her spare time, Lori enjoys dance, blogging, watching comedies and reality shows, yoga, and taking long walks in nature.