Job Skills Counsellor
YMCA of Greater Toronto | https://ymcagta.org
Mississauga, ON | Full Time
Nature and scope
The York Employment & Community Services is a part of YMCA Employment and Community Programs which provide a variety of employment and counselling programs to youth and adults throughout the GTA. The members we serve are unemployed individuals, youth in transition from school to work, and adults. The mandate of our programs is to provide learning opportunities, in employment-related job search skills, life-skills, to unemployed adults and youth.
The Job Skills Counsellor provides and prepares members for employment through the facilitation of workshops, one to one employment counselling, referral to community resources and consultation with employers to secure employment opportunities, as well as provide continuous follow up to ensure successful outcomes. The Job Skills Counsellor work as, and is part of program delivery, within a fast-paced employment centre offering multiple program opportunities for adult and youth members.
- Interviews, assesses and assists members to achieve their employment goals through identifying and following up on a plan of action to achieve employment goals.
- Provides one to one coaching and motivation. Prepares members for employment through the facilitation of life skills, job search, pre-employment and job maintenance workshops. Assists in identifying barriers to employment. Counsels members on proper résumé and job search technique.Assists members in the use of computers and other tools to conduct information searches. Assists members in the development of appropriate work habits, behaviours and attitudes for the workplace.
- Advocates on behalf of members to community employers, services and programs that will move them closer to their employment goals. Consults with team members and community partners to find employment opportunities, and monitor progress in the work environment. Participates in outreach events/ activities through collaboration and relationship development with community partners.
- Ensures self management of program targets related to the employment program delivery and funder expectations; completes and maintains members’ files as per funder and YMCA quality standards.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University Degree preferred or College Diploma in Employment Counselling, Social/Community Work, Social Services or related field
- Minimum of two years counselling, file management and group facilitation experience an asset. Other Career Testing Certificates an asset, e.g. Level B, Life Skills
- Superior presentation and written communication skills
- Knowledge of community resources, familiarity with the labour market as well as apprenticeship and training opportunities
- Proficient with personal computer applications, e.g. Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, and Internet search engines
- Well developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Flexibility regarding assigned working hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
- The position requires the following Core Association Competencies: advanced competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; being Member Focused; Relationship Building and Partnering; being Results Focused; Valuing Diversity and Social Inclusion fundamental competence in: Ethics and Self Management; Teamwork and Collaboration
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides almost 6,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
How to Apply
Apply on organization website by March 01, 2019.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.