Employment Development Specialist
Society for Manitobans with Disabilities | https://www.smd.mb.ca/
Thompson, MB | Full Time, Seasonal / Contract
3 Year Term
The Employment Development Specialist provides employment services to program participants. This may include, but is not limited to pre-employment/employment counselling, labour market information, job search techniques, resume development, interview skills coaching, indirect/direct marketing, job development/re-design/carving, job placement, as well as on-site and/or off-site support to participants and employers, as required. This position is responsible for office administration for TSEP.
- Assist participants to prepare for, and obtain employment that is within their potential.
- To represent participants or provide assistance to participants in representing themselves to employers to secure employment that is within the individuals capabilities. This may include pre-employment/employment counselling, resume submission, cold calling, direct marketing, meeting with employers, job development/re-design, setting up a work assessment and/or T.O.J.. This may also consist of, but is not limited to, educating employers/participants on work site modification, accommodation, job re-design, technical aids, and resources available to assist with the employment transition.
- Ensure the provision of support services to participants and employers which may include on-site/off-site follow-up.
- Actively network within community, helping to identify problems/issues and in developing solutions.
- Provide office and financial administration support required to meet the administrative contracted requirements of Service Purchase Agreement (SPA) and other contracts. Participate in financial reporting, budget preparation, activities, and preparation of claim forms and monthly reporting for SMD and funding bodies. Submit quarterly reports of stats and progress to management team.
- Complies with privacy and confidentiality as outlined in agency, provincial and federal policies and/or guidelines storage of participant information.
- Maintain a file management system for the purpose of tracking a participant’s progress towards achieving their identified employment goal.
- Consult with the SMD Vocational Rehabilitation Counsellor & various Community Agencies on new and/or potential referrals to Employment Services and solicit referrals when warranted.
- Responsible for statistical and funding requirements and ensure that both are completed in a timely manner.
- Maintains up-to-date labour market information which includes a list of employer contacts.
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled Program meetings.
- Participate on community based Employment Services Committees to address issues related to employment services and accommodations/needs of persons with disabilities.
- Participate in regular supervision/consultation with the Regional Supervisor, to discuss new referrals and provide updates on participants open to Employment.
- Other duties as assigned that fall within the scope of the position.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline with 2-3 years of work experience in the area of direct delivery of employments services
- Experience in the area of job development
- Knowledge of disabilities and associated functional limitations.
- Awareness of job accommodations
- Understanding of current legislation, i.e Labour Standards Act, Human Rights Canada Manitoba, Canada Employment, Affirmative Action, and Employment Equity
- Extensive knowledge of employment market conditions including labour market trends and implications for employment opportunities.
- Experience in resume development and e-profiling is required
- Knowledge of job search techniques and strategies is needed
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as part of a group
- Experience in interviewing and employment counseling
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required
- Knowledge of ASL is an asset
How to Apply
Apply online by January 4, 2019.