A Special Message from a CPC Member in Ukraine
It’s been an honour to be a CPC member for the past couple of years and meet some of you through online networking. These are dark times in Europe and worldwide with the ongoing, full-scale Russian invasion in Ukraine. I am asking for a few minutes of your time to read this message. I’d like to offer suggestions for resources and ideas you can use to help.
I am in Ukraine as I write this, witnessing war crimes and the extraordinary resistance and work of the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
I know many of you watch the news reports of air raids and civilian losses in Ukraine. I would like to ask you to act and support the Ukrainian sovereignty and people in any way you are comfortable doing. No action is too small right now and everything counts.
Support Ukrainian Refugees in Canada or Elsewhere
Any war triggers a humanitarian crisis.
As career pros, we can support Ukrainian refugees with career services. Helping just one person get a better job will position that person and their family for success. Create a LinkedIn post announcing your ability and willingness to help or put the word out with local refugee/immigrant organizations.
If you care about causes — disability, mental health, women/children, housing, education, etc. — choose the one closest to your heart and take some action through national or international organizations to support your cause to the benefit of Ukrainians.
Do you have a Ukrainian friend, colleague, or acquaintance? Ask them what they are doing now to help and if they need support from you to help with their efforts.
Spread the Word
- Attend a public demonstration or protest.
- Call everywhere you can think of — your bank, professional association, local chamber of commerce, your government, employer, local media, schools and colleges, cultural institutions, etc. — and ask them to take specific actions to break ties with the aggressor. Any termination of business right now helps the global community — and the Russians within Russia itself — to understand the gravity and consequences of the full-scale invasion. Here is a simple guide for business owners on how they can support Ukraine.
- Call or write to your local, provincial, state, or federal authorities to encourage the no-fly zone over Ukraine or any other action you would like to recommend. Here is an article written by Ukraine’s former defence minister about the need to impose a no-fly zone.
Check Your News Sources
Evaluate the validity of your news sources and double-check information with a critical eye. There is propaganda out there. Read official sources (in Ukrainian/English) or use Google translate to gain access to news reports that may not necessarily be making it to various English or French-language channels. Remember, every time someone speaks the truth, the truth prevails.
- President Zelensky’s official page
- Kyiv municipal administration
- Головнокомандувач ЗС України / CinC AF of Ukraine (daily summaries of war operations, Russian losses, etc.)
- Defense Minister of Ukraine
- Ukrainian independent online newspaper in English (founded in 2000 by Georgiy Gongadze)
Donate to Ukrainian Refugees, the Armed Forces, and Veterans
The Ukrainian armed forces are doing their job 100% and beyond, but they need help. Below are links to some ways to donate.
- To donate to humanitarian needs managed by the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine via National Bank of Ukraine (official).
- To donate to humanitarian and medical needs
- To donate to Ukrainian armed forces via the National Bank of Ukraine (official)
- To donate to the fund that supports the Ukrainian Army and veterans
- To send humanitarian aid to Poland as it accepts those fleeing Ukraine
- To donate to the UN Refugee Agency supporting Poland as it warmly welcomes Ukrainians at the border (“Donate” button found at the bottom of this article.)
- To help refugees via Airbnb
- To select from a list of charities working to support Ukraine (the list also includes a list of credible news sources)
Thank you for your time, help, and support! Every word and every action counts as the world is defending democracy against authoritarian aggression in 2022.
Your friend and colleague, a fellow Careerpro in Ukraine