Top 10 Reasons for Earning a Certification
Ben Franklin said it best in this quote: “An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.” As a career development professional, pursuing certification is an investment in knowledge and certainly pays dividends. It indicates that you are skilled, knowledgeable, and competent. Here are 10 additional reasons for earning a certification in your specialized discipline:
- Shows you are committed to ongoing professional development and that you embrace a belief in lifelong learning.
- Proves you are an expert and brands you as the “go to” person for help and advice.
- Sets you apart from your competitors.
- Increases your confidence and boosts your self-esteem.
- Adds to your credibility, encouraging people to trust you and pay attention to what you say and do.
- Gives you additional qualifications to add to your résumé and career portfolio.
- Enhances your professional profile, which may improve chances for partnerships and joint ventures, or if you are an employee, puts you ahead of the herd for internal career opportunities.
- Validates your skills and capabilities to clients, peers, and/or employers.
- Puts you in a position to raise your fees or demand what you are worth.
- Is an investment in your career, whether you are an employee or self-employed.
Regardless of where you stand, the indisputable fact is that there are a myriad of ways to upgrade one’s skills. Distance learning and virtual classrooms are mainstream, making it easier to learn from the comfort of your home and at your own pace.
So, are you ready? Have I provided enough compelling reasons for earning a certification? Get off the fence and jump on board! Certification certainly has its benefits and offers many privileges. And, earning your certifications may be easier than you think.
Daisy Wright is a Certified Career Management Coach and the Chief Encouragement Officer at The Wright Career Solution, where she helps executives, managers, and mid-career professionals tell their career stories and get hired faster. She is the author of two books, including the highly-acclaimed No Canadian Experience, Eh?: A Career Success Guide for New Immigrants. Daisy is a founding member of Career Professionals of Canada, a CPC advisory board member, and a Certified Résumé Strategist.