Work/Life Balance Primer
By Rachael Maxcy.
Work/Life balance is important to career development in many ways. Here are three self-help articles that are sure to stimulate thought on how you can gain balance between your personal and professional lives.
Personal Time: How To Regain Balance In Your Life
Overview: Helps the individual to evaluate what is important to him or her and then how to use the time available accordingly. There are no simple answers to these questions. From an evaluation perspective, it would be possible to use this with individuals in career development. Ask yourself:
- What is important to me, and what would I like to have more of in my life?
- How can I make space for these things in my life?
- What are things taking up too much space in my life?
Employment Search: A Definitive Guide To Finding A Job With Good Work Life Balance
Overview: This article focuses on the job search process and what the job seeker needs regarding work/life balance. This tool can be used in career coaching. The focus is on Generation Y; however, it is relevant to all generations. Tips include:
- Finding the right career
- Gauging the company culture
- Asking questions during the interview process
- Determining what meets the needs of your lifestyle
Job Satisfaction: 8 Simple Steps to Work-Life Balance
Overview: This SlideShare provides a visual for approaching challenges and integrating work/life balance when working in a company. It recommends the following:
- Learn the company’s policies
- Communicate with colleagues and managers if you are unable to attend work functions
- Use technology to your advantage
- Learn to say “no”
- Fight the guilt
- Rethink your idea of clean
- Protect your private time