A Secret to Alleviating Job Search Stress – Yoga
By Lori Jazvac.
I recently worked with a client who landed an exciting entry-level engineering role with a growing and innovative company in Halton. During our coaching sessions, he asked me how he could relieve his job search stress. Along with thorough dedicating practice and preparation while remaining optimistic, I suggested a hobby that has helped me stay energized and balanced when life gets hectic: yoga.
The Plentiful Benefits of Yoga
I discovered yoga several years ago as a way to de-stress and become more centered. I enrolled in an eight-week class with a professional yoga instructor. After a short while, I began to see visible changes and experienced positive results by doing yoga at least twice a week.
Here are at least 12 benefits of yoga:
- Helps you to manage stress proactively – rather than reactively
- Improves breathing
- Enhances self-awareness, focus, and promotes healthy lifestyle habits
- Reduces pain
- Promotes a peaceful sleep at night and alertness through the day
- Boosts confidence and clarity – re-shifts your perspective and transforms old patterns
- Speeds up weight loss and maintenance
- Improves digestion and eating habits
- Uplifts your mood and energy
- Increases flexibility and posture through moderate stretching
- Balances out your life – helping you align with the rhythms of life
- Enhances overall health and mobility
As a gentler alternative to the traditional gym routine, yoga provides a harmonious method of managing today’s fast-paced lifestyle. All you need is a comfortable space, a mat, soft lighting, and relaxed clothing.
My Discoveries through Yoga
Through yoga techniques and meditation, I was able to look more introspectively and to find the intuitive answers to achieving personal growth.
Through my journey as an entrepreneur and yoga enthusiast, here is what I have learned:
- The importance of respect for others, but also self-respect.
- The importance of taking time out for myself.
- Always follow my intuition–it never lies.
- There is no need to rush–everything happens in its own perfect timing.
- Perseverance and patience pay off.
- Appreciate the uniqueness of every client – they have something important to teach me.
Helping Clients Gain Work-life Balance.
The secret to work-life balance does lie within.
In our hectic world, clients feel like they have to meet deadlines through multitasking. For many, this can become the norm of daily life. Sometimes, in the midst of busyness, it is easy to lose focus in the job search and escape by watching television, going shopping, or listening to loud music.
…But instead, recommend that they stop.
…take a few moments, breathe, and give thanks for everything.
Here are some effective basic yoga techniques that will help your clients improve their health and stay energized. Recommend that they start with the beginner level, under a yoga instructor’s supervision if they are new to yoga. Approach the advanced level poses gradually when they are ready – never overexerting themselves.
Yoga offers alternative poses for novices that can be modified. The “downward dog” and “child’s pose” are two of my favourite yoga techniques – both offering a sense of calm and rejuvenation.
Now that the summer is here, try a yoga class and motivate your clients to do yoga regularly, especially before the big interview, performance review, and first day on the job. Enhance your career success and personal growth by transitioning from the chaos of a busy day to a calm state of mind and body.