Refugee Employment Case Worker
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. | http://www.successbc.ca
Surrey, BC | Full Time, Seasonal / Contract
Duties: The Refugee Employment Case Worker supports the Immigrant Settlement and Integration Program’s Refugee Employment Project. Job responsibilities of the Refugee Employment Case Worker include researching current information related to the BC labour market and refugee employment, recruiting and case managing un/under-employed Arabic-speaking refugee participants, facilitating and supporting refugee participants in their work placements and assisting in the delivery of refugee training workshops. The position also requires input on report writing and assistance to the Project Coordinator as requested.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches and prepares information on best practices in hiring refugees; in particular, identifying the needs and expectations of both hospitality employers and refugees who wish to be employed in the hospitality sector.
- Outreaches to un/under-employed Arabic-speaking refugees through participating in hiring and community events.
- Recruits unemployed and/or underemployed Arabic-speaking refugees who are interested in working in the hospitality sector.
- Provides refugee clients with client-centered employment information and orientation services about the local labour-market and job search strategies.
- Conducts needs assessments with refugee clients to identify their needs and barriers to employment and develop action plans based on assessment results.
- Delivers ongoing, one-on-one consultation in-person and by phone to refugee clients to support their action plan implementation and job search process.
- Develops and delivers workshops on local labour market information, job search strategies, and Canadian hospitality sector workplace culture and expectations.
- Supports refugee clients in preparation of and during their work placements through one-on-one coaching.
- Provides interpretation support for workshop guest speakers and third party trainers as required.
- Translates resources for project participants as required.
- Collects, collates and assists with the reporting of programming data.
- Assists with the coordination and implementation of employer and client focus groups and surveys. Assists in documenting focus group results and collating survey results.
- Takes initiative in addressing emergent situations and updates the Project Coordinator in responding to client needs.
- Resolves disputes or grievances from clients and seeks additional assistance as needed.
- May perform other ad hoc and miscellaneous assignments as required by the Project Coordinator.
- Undergraduate degree in Social Sciences and relevant work experience.
- Career Development Practitioner Certification preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of labour market and settlement-related issues.
- Extensive experience working with immigrants and refugees of diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledgeable of the geographic area served.
- Experienced in developing and delivering employment workshops and events, particularly for immigrants and refugees.
- Experienced in delivering employment services, including needs assessments and one-on-one employment counselling.
- Excellent time and resource management skills.
- Demonstrated skills in interpersonal and intercultural communication techniques.
Job Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of local community resources, including settlement and employment resources, for refugees.
- Knowledge of local labour market, particularly the hospitality sector.
- Excellent understanding of career development practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication/presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to liaise with all program stakeholders.
- Able to deal diplomatically and effectively with clients experiencing challenges.
- Ability to work independently and within a team context.
- Ability to work with individuals and communities facing cultural adjustment challenges.
- Ability to create, and maintain client records and reports.
- Ability to design, deliver and facilitate employment workshops, particularly in the areas of labour market information, job search strategies, and Canadian workplace culture.
- Fluent in English, both oral and written. Proficiency in Arabic is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in all aspects of Microsoft Office Suite.
- May be required to work occasional evenings and weekends to support clients and programming.
- May be required to travel within the Metro Vancouver area.
- Criminal record check required.
June, 2017 to March 31st, 2018
$21.51-$26.00 per hour. Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com on or before 5 p.m. June 26, 2017.