Redeemer University College | https://www.redeemer.ca/
Ancaster, ON | Part Time
The Careers Advisor (CA) works primarily with students to facilitate their entry into the workplace by helping them to find their calling, identify and explore career possibilities, and be ready to pursue career opportunities. The CA also interacts with employers to help grow potential graduate placements. Working with colleagues in the Centre for Experiential Learning and Careers (CELC), the CA is also directly involved in meeting the CELC goals with a specific focus on planning and executing a series of career preparation events each academic year.
This is a 50% FTE position. Preferred effective date is August 8, 2017.
Career Preparation Events
- Planning: Develop a series of events for a four year program of career preparation; Develop a budget for promotion and execution of events
- Promotion: Develop and execute a promotion plan; Promote events using CELC website and other tools
- Execution of Events: Ensure student access to at least six events per year; Interact with partners to build a database for partnership engagement; Create and execute events related to career preparation, job search techniques/strategies, networking skills, resume/cover letter preparation, and interview preparation/strategies; Track student participation
- Evaluation of Events: Evaluate level of participation and feedback from participating students and partners
One-on-One Vocation and Career Counselling
- Planning: Explore appropriate vocational and career counselling tools; Develop a budget and appropriate quantities of tools
- Promotion: Develop and execute annual promotion plan; Promote events using CELC website and other tools
- Execution of Counselling: Provide one-on-one counselling to student groups on prioritized basis; Develop and provide interested students with exploratory tools prior to appointments
- Evaluation of tools and services: Evaluate quality of tools used, participation levels, and student feedback
Partner Development and Relationship Management
- Foster relationships with businesses and other organizations to increase advertised full-time employment opportunities for graduating students
- Together with other CELC staff, represent the university at local networking events and prospect for potential employers
- Together with other CELC staff, engage with potential employer partners for the purpose of job development and hiring opportunities
General Contribution to CELC
- Collaborate with CELC colleagues to reduce duplication across events and services and to maximize stewardly use of CELC resources
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree plus a Career Development Practitioner Certificate or Human Resources Professional Association Ontario Certificate
- 5+ years of job-related experience
- Experience in career advising
- Understanding of Redeemer University College: mission, values, and Reformed Christian identity
- Participate in communal activity that supports and encourages a university campus environment where the holistic development of all persons embodies Christian principles that advance the mission and Christian character of Redeemer University College.
About Redeemer University College
Redeemer University College is a dynamic undergraduate university recognized for providing quality undergraduate education in the fine arts, humanities, natural sciences, social sciences, business, and education, with a demonstrated commitment to fostering a spiritually-vibrant and caring community of learning. The scholarship, teaching, and creative activity of our faculty, combined with small class sizes and low student-faculty ratios, creates an engaging academic environment. We are located on a beautiful and environmentally-friendly campus on the edge of Hamilton, Ontario, minutes from Lake Ontario and an hour from downtown Toronto.
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to fax or email their application materials and include a statement that articulates their faith perspective and its relation to the mission of Redeemer University College. A range of qualifications are evaluated including distinguishing characteristics that demonstrate congruence with our identity as a university in the Protestant and Reformed Christian tradition.
Submit Applications to:
Mr. Jim VanGeest
Director, Human Resources
Redeemer University College
777 Garner Road East
Ancaster, ON, Canada, L9K 1J4
Redeemer offers equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants. We welcome and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be considered first for this position.