Career & Employment Coach
Saint Mary’s University | http://www.smu.ca/
Halifax City, Nova Scotia | Full Time
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary’s University is one of Canada’s oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary’s University is home to one of Canada’s leading business schools, a science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Under the direction of the Counselor/Manager, Career Services, the Career & Employment Coach is a member of the Career Services team. The position works face to face with prospective and current students of Saint Mary’s University with services related to career exploration and planning. The position is also responsible for the promotion of the services offered through the Career Development Centre. The positon further provides resources, programs and workshops to students, alumni, faculty and staff, as well as external population in the area of career services.
Duties as the Career & Employment Coach include, but are not limited to:
- Working directly with students in regards to their career development.
- Working in collaboration/consultation with Career Counsellors to provide services tailored to client needs.
- Providing support for the Career Services staff in maintaining knowledge in the field by completing occupational research and sourcing labor information to remain current with trends and economic data.
- Continuously striving to uncover what employers and Human Resources professionals are looking for in their candidates and providing this information to students.
- Utilizing various career planning websites and software in response to student inquiries.
- Coordinating student walk-ins and appointment schedules and any changes to ensure timely service to students.
- Assisting students with information and in-depth preparation for their job/volunteer interviews including the creation of individualized interviews questions, conducting mock interviews, etc.
- Assisting prospective, current and graduating students, as well as alumni with career exploration, graduate programs and employment preparation activities.
- Educating students on programs, degrees, and majors available at Saint Mary’s and at other educational institutions as well as information on standardized graduate testing.
- Providing resume, cover letter, and curriculum vitae instruction and feedback.
- Creating new career materials/workshops and making available to students through the Centre and on website.
- Researching career-related information in response to student inquiries.
- Creating sample resumes for first and second year students in Arts, Commerce and Science Faculties as well for graduating students, mature/career transition students and international students.
- Recruiting, interviewing, training, supervising and evaluating student volunteers and student staff; delegating tasks to students/volunteers and supervising projects and tasks assigned to student staff and volunteers.
- Attending local/regional/national events and maintaining networks with career practitioners, employers and recruiters.
- Ensuring the Centre’s computers and printers/scanners are operational and in good working condition.
- Maintaining and updating the Career Services website.
- Creating and distributing promotional material for the Career Development Centre.
- Coordinating special events and workshops.
- Maintaining and compiling statistics on the Career Development Centre.
- Promoting the Career Development Centre to prospective and current students, faculty, and staff.
- Developing and delivering workshops on career related topics to campus and community audiences.
- Holding annual and semi-annual events such as the LinkedIn Photo Shoot, the Business English Exchange Program in partnership with The Language Centre, the Sociology/Criminology Career Explore and Volunteer Fair.
- Creating and co-facilitating career development workshops and the annual volunteer fair.
- Representing the Career Development Centre with appropriate external organizations including: Atlantic Association University Student Services (A.A.C.U.S.S.), National Career Development Association, Job Junction, and Career & Transitional Services.
To be the successful Career & Employment Coach you will possess an undergraduate degree and a minimum of one (1) year of directly related experience. You demonstrate highly developed oral and written communication skills, presentation skills and highly developed computer competencies in software such as Microsoft Office, internet applications and email. Experience in career development will be considered an asset.
Salary: $47,807 – $61,609
How to Apply
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the “Apply Online Now” button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Closes: July 31, 2017
Saint Mary’s University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary’s University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary’s University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s University promotes a scent free environment and is proud to be tobacco-free as of September 1, 2013